Submission Number: 00035
Received: 8/17/2011 12:39:54 AM
Commenter: Ryan Markle
Organization: Harris Bros. Cleaners, Inc.
Agency: Federal Trade Commission
Initiative: 16 CFR Part 423: Trade Regulation Rule on Care Labeling of Textile Wearing Apparel and Certain Piece Goods, FTC Project No. R511915
Attachments: No Attachments
I for one, agree the F.T.C. should be allowed to modify the care labeling rule, as long as the modification more specifically protects the consumer as well as the professional garment / textile cleaner. We all know, as history shows, the abuse by garment manufacturers and some of the trash they produce and sell falls considerably short of being responsible. I want to be clear that there are many manufacturers who are very reponsible and produce quality garments. However, they represent a small percentage, 10-15%. Removing care labels as required now would be a huge mistake and would serve as a vehicle for further abuse by the remaining 85%. One area that consistantly is abused is wedding gown manufacturers. In my 30+ years of experience have I EVER incountered a retailer, let alone a manufacturer honor a failed wedding gown, care label followed entirely.