Submission Number: 00021
Received: 9/30/2012 12:57:05 AM
Agency: Federal Trade Commission
Initiative: Proposed Consent Agreement In the Matter of DesignerWare, LLC; FTC File No. 1123151
Attachments: No Attachments
More big government is all I can say. I own several Aaron’s stores and you have scared all my customers into thinking I spy on them. You obviously never used the product, so let me walk you through how it works.
1. You can never install any monitoring on the computer using the CD.
a. Because of this, none of my customers can be spied on.
2. Every time you turn on the computer you have to accept the terms of my lease agreement.
a. I do admit I turn that off as customers get feed up with it after a few days.
3. Every customer signs a computer addendum which clearly states NO spy software is loaded, however if the computer is stolen we have the ability to load tracking software.
4. I restrict the ability to only myself and so does the website.
5. If I transfer ownership of the computer I am required to remove the software or pay $250,000 for each violation. So I never leave it installed. Some customers still want the protection after they own it so I tell them to purchase their own copy.
6. When a computer is not returned at the end of the lease, I call them, and send them a certified letter.
7. After 10 days, in my State, they are now committing a felony.
8. I now lock the computer if I know where they are so they cannot use it. But, if they have skipped then I ask to have the tracking installed.
9. I don’t know about you, but in my book and in State Law this makes that person a thief who has walked off with my property and I have every right to recover my property.
Lastly, because of your mistrust, my partner and I stopped using the software. We were hoping you’d make a sensible decision and realize that proper disclosure is all that’s needed. I had two laptops last week shoplifted from my showroom and since we’re no longer allowed to use the software can you please tell me where to send the invoice so you can pay for them?