Submission Number: 560948-00005
Received: 6/27/2012 6:00:00 PM
Commenter: Andrew Stilnovic
Agency: Federal Trade Commission
Initiative: 16 CFR Part 20; Guides for the Rebuilt, Reconditioned and Other Used Automobile Parts Industry; Project No. P127702
Attachments: No Attachments
1. These guides are most definitely needed in this industry specifically. In an industry known for subtle manipulation of its consumers as well as the sensationalization of products, the guides would help tremendously in helping people avoid the pitfalls of those businesses that would like to purport their products as good as new or something similar. Additionally, parts of an automobile that are refurbished are sometimes essential parts that will not last as long. Without these guides people may not be aware that the parts in their car are used and will probably not be as high quality as parts that are brand new.
2. These guide should include the common parts that may have been used previously and exactly the time line that the consumer can anticipate a break down compared to parts that would be brand new. This would allow the consumers to make a more informed decision on whether or not the parts they are using are the quality they desire.
3. The guides would help small businesses analyze exactly what they are getting when they need to purchase automobiles. These businesses would be able to better predict maintenance costs over time and plan for their future.
4. Forcing the car dealers and manufactures to make the public aware of these guides and distribute them could be quite minimal. Providing a small paper pamphlet for each customer who is interested in buying a product with used parts (especially a car with used parts), would be a small percentage of the total sale.
5. There is definitely a need to educate the public about used auto parts and what they are specifically getting when they purchase a car. Otherwise people may not be truly buying the product they intended. They could miscalculate how long the car will last, or even the value of the car when purchasing it
6. Tires should be included in these guides since their own guides have been eliminated. These are essential parts in a vehicle and the public needs to know exactly what they are getting