Speeches -- 1997
- "FTC Perspectives on Competition Policy and Enforcement Initiatives in Electric Power"
William J. Baer before the Conference on The New Rules of the Game for Electric Power: Antitrust & Anticompetitive Behavior. Washington, D.C., December 4, 1997
- "The Consumer Protection Pyramid: Education, Self-Regulation, and Law Enforcement"
Roscoe B. Starek, III, before the Korea Consumer Festival '97, Seoul, Republic of Korea, December 2, 1997
- Panel Discussion on Technological Innovation, International Trade and Competition Policy
Mary L. Azcuenaga, before the Japan Fair Trade Commission, 50th Anniversary Symposium, Tokyo, Japan, December 1, 1997
- "New Myths and Old Realities: Perspectives on Recent Developments in Antitrust Enforcement"
William Baer, before the Bar Association of the City of New York, New York, N.Y., November 17, 1997
- "Health Care Mergers: Will We Get Efficiencies Claims Right?"
Debra A. Valentine before St. Louis University School of Law Conference on Antitrust and Health Care: Current Antitrust Issues for the Health Care Provider, St. Louis, MO, November 14, 1997
- "The FTC and Dietary Supplements"
Jodie Bernstein before FDLI Conference on Substantiating Claims for Dietary Supplement Advertising and Labeling, Washington Hilton and Towers Hotel, Washington, D.C., November 13, 1997
- "From Open Access to Convergence Mergers: An Antitrust Perspective on the Transition to Electricity Competition"
Jonathan B. Baker before The Competition Symposium, Brubaker & Associates, Omni Shoreham, Washington, DC, October 29, 1997 Revised: February 6, 1998
- "Vertical Restraints and Vertical Aspects of Mergers--A U.S. Perspective"
Robert Pitofsky before Fordham Corporate Law Institute, 24th Annual Conference on International Antitrust Law and Policy, October 16-17, 1997
- "Building a Cooperative Framework for Oversight in Mergers--The Answer to Extraterritorial Issues in Merger Review"
Debra A Valentine before George Mason Law University, George Mason Law Review's Antitrust Symposium, Arlington, VA , October 10, 1997
- "Regulatory Enforcement of Your Website: Who Will be Watching?"
Roscoe B. Starek, III, before The Online Advertising Law Workshop, Chicago, Illinois, October 1, 1997
- "International Cooperation in Antitrust Enforcement"
Roscoe B. Starek, III, before the Annual Conference of The American Corporate Counsel Association European Chapter, Conrad International Hotel, London, England, September 29, 1997
- "Staples and Boeing: What They Say About Merger Enforcement at the FTC"
Robert Pitofsky before Antitrust 1998, Business Development Associates, The Madison Hotel, Washington, D.C., September 23, 1997
- "Government Enforcement and Guidance in Health Care Antitrust: Maintaining the Balance"
Robert Leibenluft, Presented at the American Bar Association 1997 Annual Meeting, August 5, 1997
- "Advertising Alcohol and the First Amendment"
Roscoe B. Starek, III before the American Bar Association Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Committee on Beverage Alcohol Practice San Francisco, California August 4, 1997.
- "The ABCs at the FTC: Marketing and Advertising to Children,"
Roscoe B. Starek, III before Advertising and Promotion Law 1997, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, July 25, 1997.
- "Econometric Analysis in FTC v. Staples"
Jonathan Baker, before American Bar Association's Antitrust Section Economics Committee, Willard Hotel, July 18, l997
- "Protecting the Consumer in the Global Marketplace,"
Roscoe B. Starek, III before the Institute of Trading Standards Administration, Antwerp, Belgium, June 25, 1997.
- "Antitrust and Intellectual Property: Recent Highlights and Uncertainties"
Mary L. Azcuenaga before the American Law Institute-American Bar Association, "Antitrust/Intellectual Property Claims in High Technology Markets", Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts, April 24, 1997
- "Antitrust and Trade Associations at the FTC"
Roscoe B. Starek, III before the Antitrust Committee and the Trade Association Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, Plymouth Court, Chicago, Illinois, April 16, 1997
- "Mergers and Acquisitions in the Defense Industry"
Robert Pitofsky before the Subcommittee on Acquisition and Technology of the United States Senate Armed Services Committee, Washington, D.C., April 15, 1997
- "Report from the Bureau of Competition"
William Baer, before the American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Spring Meeting 1997, FTC and Clayton Act Committees, Washington, D.C. , April 9-10, 1997
- "Merger Remedies"
George S. Cary, before the American Bar Association Antitrust Spring Meeting, Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, D.C., April 10, 1997
- "The Role of Advertising and Advertising Regulation in the Free Market"
Mary L. Azcuenaga before the Turkish Association of Advertising Agencies, Conference on Advertising for Economy and Democracy, Istanbul, Turkey, April 8, 1997
- "Unfairness, Internet Advertising and Innovative Remedies"
Roscoe B. Starek, III before the American Advertising Federation Government Affairs Conference, Washington, D.C., March 13, 1997
- "Competition Policy In Communications Industries: New Antitrust Approaches"
Robert Pitofsky before the Glasser LegalWorks Seminar on Competitive Policy in Communications Industries: New Antitrust Approaches, Washington, D.C., March 10, 1997
- "Overview of the Advisory Opinion Process at the Federal Trade Commission"
Judith A. Moreland, before the National Health Lawyers Association Antitrust in the Health Care Field Washington, D.C., February 13 and 14, 1997
- "Thoughts on 'Leveling the Playing Field' in Health Care Markets"
Robert Pitofsky before the National Health Lawyers Association, Twentieth Annual Program on Antitrust in the Health Care Field, Washington, D.C., February 13, 1997
- "The Federal Trade Commission's Current Enforcement Policies with Emphasis on Actions Against Associations"
Roscoe B. Starek, III before the 33rd Annual Symposium on Associations and Antitrust, The Trade Association and Antitrust Law Committee of the Bar of the District of Columbia, The Capitol Hilton Hotel, Washington, D.C., February 12, 1997